A Top-Rated Program in a Fast-Growing Industry
The Sheridan Tourism and Travel diploma program prepares you for an exciting career in an industry that offers great opportunities for several reasons:
- There is a shortage of well-trained tourism and travel consultants
- The Internet has created a more informed consumer, but for complicated trips, consumers and business professionals seek out the help of a trained travel consultants
- There are new opportunities to specialize in the tourism and travel field to accommodate consumers' desires for new and exotic adventures
According to a national survey, experts anticipate there'll be approximately 291,000 new jobs in tourism in Canada between 2006 and 2015.* It's an exciting time to be in the tourism and travel industry and no one prepares you better than Sheridan to find a position in the field and perform in it successfully. The Canadian Institute of Travel Counselors (CITC)
As a Tourism and Travel student you'll:
- Train on our live Galileo Global Distribution System (GDS), learning how to book flights, hotels and rental cars
- Learn client retention strategies – one of the most valued skills in the industry today
- Receive TICO training and pass the Education Standards exam that is mandated by the Government of Ontario for every person selling travel and providing travel counseling services in Ontario
- Have the opportunity to earn an Associate Cruise Program (ACP) designation. This coupled with six months post-graduation experience qualifies you to pursue certification as an Accredited Cruise Counselor (ACC).
- Spend 100 hours during Semester 4 in field placement within the travel and tourism industry gaining valuable field experience that helps you stand out from other job applicants
- Plan actual meetings and events, selecting the venue and coordinating catering and entertainment
The Tourism and Travel Program has integrated the use of laptop computers in the delivery of many courses. In these courses, both in class and out, you'll connect to class activities, notes and presentations via your laptop computer. You have access to the materials 24/7 and can visit chatrooms to discuss assignments with classmates and/or professors.
Effective September 2011, all new students enrolling in the program will be required to provide a laptop computer.
Every member of our faculty is a Certified Travel Consultant (CTC) and two are certified with the Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA) at Elite and Master levels. Our professors and our program are well respected in the tourism and travel industry, and our faculty is in constant contact with industry leaders to assure that our program is cutting edge, the very best it can be.
The Tourism and Travel Program offers a promising career to anyone who:
- Enjoys visiting and learning about exciting places, their cultures, history and people
- Likes to sell
- Possesses excellent communication skills
- Understands simple math and computer application fundamentals
The Tourism and Travel Program is located at the Trafalgar Road Campus in Oakville, Ontario.
*Emerit, Total Tourism Employment Study 2006 Update.